Painting Inspiration

National Paint Week: Tutorial Painting British Flag on Fence Boards

I made this British Flag inspired art for my nephew, Kirby. He is 18 and collects flags from around the world, so I thought this would go...

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Painted Mantel For Faux Fireplace

Welcome Back to Day 8 of my 31 Days of Paint series. See the entire series HERE.




Painted Mantel


I have always wanted a fireplace. I live in the mountains of North Idaho and don't have a fire to sit in front of in the middle of winter. It just feels wrong.  I found this mantel at the Habitat Restore.  

I loved the scroll work, the crown molding and the fluted columns.

What I didn't like was that cherry colored stain. It matched nothing in my house. So I propped it up on saw horses on my lawn and sanded it. Most of the sanding was done by hand because of all the details. 

After sanding, I broke out the white satin finish paint. I actually used porch and floor paint. It is tougher than regular paint since this is going in a high traffic area where it is bound to be bumped into by kids and toys, I thought it was a good precaution.

This took at least 4 layers of paint by hand with a brush and small roller.

These little scroll details were the toughest to cover, lots of nooks and crannies. But it was well worth the effort. 

Everything looks better painted a crisp white, don't you think?

Here is my temporary "fire". I have big plans for the interior of this mantel, but for now my picnic basket, huge Candy Corn and wreath will work.

I love being able to decorate a real mantel, here it is for decorated for Fall. I have since added pops of orange for Halloween.

Tomorrow's Post: All About Distressing. Am I brave enough? 

3 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with the space you have. At least with faux fireplaces, you won't have to bother with finding chimney cleaners.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment here, it really means the world to me!

Thanks!

~Danylle