Painting Inspiration

National Paint Week: Tutorial Painting British Flag on Fence Boards

I made this British Flag inspired art for my nephew, Kirby. He is 18 and collects flags from around the world, so I thought this would go...

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Painting & Distressing Furniture

Welcome Back to Day 9 of my 31 Days of Paint series. See the entire series HERE.

Painted & Distressed Mirror

My sister, Heather bought this distressed mirror at Farm Chicks a few years ago. It is my inspiration for my distressed mirror.


Not sure if I would go this far with the distressing. I love the look, but I am just not that brave.


I love the natural finish of the top with the painted, distressed legs of this table and of course, that aqua color! But am I brave enough to do this to a piece that I spent hours painting? Why not? It's only paint right?

I painted this 70s mirror last March. It has been hanging just like this in my foyer since then. Today, I tried my hand at distressing it. I used 120 grit sandpaper and randomly sanded it by hand. I sanded enough for the primer to show through in spots and some of it I sanded all the way down to the wood.


I took some English Chestnut stain to it just to add some age. 

Some areas I roughed up more than others.

I think it goes better with my Grandma Clara's settee that I recently inherited.

My "after" picture would have looked better if I had taken these pics this during the day light but you get the idea. Distressing this actually made me like it more. I was going to take it down and replace it with something else because it looked too new with the settee. Now it looks aged to perfection.

Tomorrow's Post: Chalk Board Paint


Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you are enjoying my new series. I welcome your tips, ideas and links to your paint projects in my comments below.

6 comments:

  1. You do such nice work. I find distressing hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your furniture looks lovey in your room, you do good taste.
    furniture stores in los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those dirty looking 70's style furniture. As a matter of fact, I am looking for a computer desks with that kind of effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vintage-looking mirror? That's some nice handwork there. I was hoping you scraped more of it though.

    wicker outdoor furniture

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can paint distressing furniture is given here. Know more about it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment here, it really means the world to me!

Thanks!

~Danylle