Painting Inspiration

National Paint Week: Tutorial Painting British Flag on Fence Boards

I made this British Flag inspired art for my nephew, Kirby. He is 18 and collects flags from around the world, so I thought this would go...

Monday, October 3, 2011

Red Night Stand {Paint Series 4}

Welcome back to my 31 Days of Paint Series. This is the 4th day of the paint series and the 3rd day of my 31 Days Challenge. {I started the series before I decided upon the 31 days thing.} You can read my beginning post about the Power of Paint HERE or the entire series of posts HERE.


Red Night Stand:

This little night stand was at St.Vincent's Thrift Store for $10 but it was 60% off day so I got it for only $4. It's top was pretty beat up and it had various paint chips at the base and was missing a knob.

I always try to have at least 2 projects going at once so that while one is drying, I can paint the other. Here I am also painting my Dollar Store Winter Wreath that I will be sharing with you soon.

The top of this piece had to be sanded down to the bare wood. Joe used a belt sander on it for me.  I used a palm sander on the roughest spots and a sponge sander on the rest of it just to rough it up enough for the new paint to stick. I painted this with a glossy bright red spray paint to match the old finish.

One thing I have learned in all this painting is that: Runs happen. I get a little heavy handed with spray paint from time to time.

When this happens I touch it lightly with a clean rag and blot out the spot. Let it dry and add a few more light coats.  

It doesn't completely fix the spot but I'm not too worried about it. {It's going in my Son's room.} If I was selling this piece, I would have let it dry over night, sanded it down to the wood and tried again.

Here it is complete. I really do love this red.

 It looks kind of sweet with my blue chair.

Tomorrow's Post: Fall Welcome Sign

I hope you enjoy my new series. I welcome your tips, ideas and links to your paint projects in my comments below.

Linking up with:
Tip Junkie handmade projects

3 comments:

  1. I love the bright pop of red! And believe it or not, I don't think I have ever painted anything red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think red was far too bold until we bought a house with a fire-engine red kitchen countertop! I LOVE it, and I'm looking all over for little ways to add that pop of color, this nightstand is a cute inspiration! I have a bland little nightstand with no color ... HMMMMMM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great spray paint tip. I just sanded down a pine trunk?table. I want to refinish it to look light pine, liming wax, Swedish. You know, that Restoration Hardware look. Have you done that before? Should I light stain it first....help me Nana!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment here, it really means the world to me!

Thanks!

~Danylle