Painting Inspiration

National Paint Week: Tutorial Painting British Flag on Fence Boards

I made this British Flag inspired art for my nephew, Kirby. He is 18 and collects flags from around the world, so I thought this would go...

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ugly Lamp Gets Paint Job


Welcome Back to Day 6 of my 31 Days of Paint series. See the entire series HERE.



Ugly Lamp Gets Paint Job

This lamp is from the 60s, I think. The orange "jewel" is what drew me to it. My youngest daughter wants me to do her new room in orange. She is a Halloween baby so it kind of suites her.

For $2.50, I thought, why not? Are you starting to look at things differently? I look at EVERYTHING and my first thought is to paint it white... or ???


 If you turn your lamp over and unscrew this little nut on the bottom, the entire lamp comes loose so that you can paint in between each part.

I taped off the orange "jewel" and the lamp parts that I didn't want to get paint inside of and spray painted the entire lamp a Satin white.

I held the lamp upside down to paint then hung it here to dry.
{On my front porch! My neighbors must think I am crazy!}

What a difference a little paint can make, huh?

I tried repurposing the old lamp shade. I spray painted it orange to match the "jewel" but it just did not take paint. This is 4 coats and it just flaked off that old textured lampshade. {I think we will turn it in to some kind of Halloween decoration, any ideas?}


I found this lampshade at Walmart for under $5 and I think it's a keeper. I have a second lamp for her room that I painted. No "jewel" this time but I think matching lampshades will tie them together. That post is coming up soon. {Now that I look at this, I am definitely going to paint that brown lamp cord. I can't help it, I love paint!}

Tomorrow's Post: Candy Corn kids paint craft project 

Wow, 6 days of painting projects in a row, I can't believe it. Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoy my new series. I welcome your tips, ideas and links to your paint projects in my comments below.



Linking up with:
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

3 comments:

  1. You should live in my neighborhood. They know I'm nuts! Can't wait to tackle my ugly lamp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with the color of the lamp, it sure stands out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment here, it really means the world to me!

Thanks!

~Danylle