Painting Inspiration

National Paint Week: Tutorial Painting British Flag on Fence Boards

I made this British Flag inspired art for my nephew, Kirby. He is 18 and collects flags from around the world, so I thought this would go...

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Power of Paint Series Part 1


Before I get to my Fall Mantel, let me begin
by introducing my new Blog Series:

This summer will go down as The Summer of Paint.

"Never underestimate the power of paint," I tell my kids every time I drag out a new "ugly" object to paint. This summer I have painted 7 chairs, 1 desk, 3 night stands, 1 fireplace mantel, 1 fruit bowl, so many candle sticks that I lost count, 1 set of stairs, 2 lamps, lots of  odd items that I am not sure have names, plus several random pieces of wood. Did I mention that I did 90% of this painting (including the stairs) on my front lawn? I am sure my neighbors think I am crazy. Cars have stopped and people asked if I was, "having a yard sale?"

It's been a long summer. Long FABULOUS summer. 

Here are a few of my before shots.

All of these and more will be revealed in future posts in my new Blog Series. To see the entire series click HERE.


My first paint project:
Honestly, I do not know what to call this little wooden bowl on a pedestal so I call it a fruit bowl, because that's what I am currently using it for. I got it at Goodwill for $1.00.

After sanding it down roughly, I applied a coat of yellow and remembered yellow paint does not cover well. I discovered this with my yellow chandelier. So I sanded it again and applied a coat of Primer. It helped cover the brown and the yellow spray paint to really stick. I used Krylon's "Bright Idea" yellow.

Here is how my fruit bowl turned out. I am using it in my Fall Mantel display to hold some tiny apples we harvested from our very young apple tree.

I am always amazed by The Power of Paint. What a difference.

I tried displaying with my first yarn wrapped & spray painted wreath above the mantel but is just looked too bare.

So I rehung my favorite painting instead. Even though the boats remind me of summer, the colors coordinate so well and really ring in my nautical themed items.

Here I have added my Sweater Pumpkins and BOO Bunting for Halloween.

This huge Candy Corn Sophie painted, a wreath, pumpkins and picnic basket are what sits in my fire.

I purchased this Mantel at Habitat For Humanity's Restore for $40 and painted it, of course. Here's what she looked like before:


I will say it again: Never underestimate the Power of Paint.

I hope you enjoy my new series. I welcome your tips, ideas and links to your paint projects in my comments below.


Linking with:
The Lettered Cottage


Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment here, it really means the world to me!

Thanks!

~Danylle